firmware not loading

Andrew Barr barr.156
Fri Oct 22 15:00:27 PDT 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 02:49 pm, Josh Wyatt wrote:
> James B. Hiller wrote:
> > Hi.

> > Which revision?  The A_/B_ type, or the E_ type?
> >
> > Ref my comment above - the revision likely matters.
> >
> > jbh
>
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, thanks for your help...
>
> I am not sure how to know the revision of the card.  I do not have physical
> access to the machine, so I cannot see the card.  I am assuming "E" (I
> believe I may have seen E1 on the packaging moons ago).

I think they're only selling "E" now, so unless this thing is used...

> I can give you lspci -vv output:
> 01:08.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset
> (rev 01)
>          Subsystem: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset
>          Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Step ping- SERR+ FastB2B-

The subsystem line doesn't match my card (I know it's a rev.E). My subsystem
line says "D-Link System Inc DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter, Rev E1". Numeric
subsystem IDs are 1186:3700. Run 'lspci -vvv -n -s 01:08.0" to match up the
numeric IDs.

> And here is some output from dmesg, when loading the hostap_pci driver,
> which might help:
>
> hostap_pci: 0.2.5 - 2004-10-03 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
> PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 01:08.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 3 with 00:1f.3
> divert: not allocating divert_blk for non-ethernet device wifi0
> hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0
> wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
> hostap_pci: assuming no Primary image in flash - card initialization not
> complet ed
> wifi0: test Genesis mode with HCR 0x1f
> wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
> Readback test failed, HCR 0x1f write 00 e1 a1 ff read 00 ce a1 ce
> wifi0: test Genesis mode with HCR 0x0f
> wifi0: Original COR value: 0xa1
> Readback test succeeded, HCR 0x0f
> wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xf8000000, irq=3
> divert: allocating divert_blk for wlan0
> wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
> wlan0: could not set interface UP - no PRI f/w
> wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
> divert: freeing divert_blk for wlan0
> divert: no divert_blk to free, wifi0 not ethernet
> hostap_pci: Driver unloaded

Months ago I remember something being discussed about issues with firmware
download and non-Intel chipsets and processors. What's your processor and
chipset?

> If you need info from the card or packaging, I can get it, I just need to
> know which info since I will be relaying to another human.
>
> To answer the other questions.. I am not relying on the ebuilds from
> gentoo, I'm building from the tarballs downloaded from
> hostap.epitest.fi/releases/.  I'm building the kernel from the source
> tarball from a kernel.org mirror, so all pretty standard really, no
> additional patches, etc.
>
> Lastly, where might I find primary.tar.gz?

http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/firmware

Where did you get the firmware you have now if you haven't been there?

> Thanks in advance,
> Josh

Andrew