wpa_supplicant-0.2.5, ipw2100 and (Shared-key) WEP

Jim Seymour jseymour
Tue Oct 19 06:57:03 PDT 2004

jseymour at linxnet.com (Jim Seymour) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Environment:
>
>     wpa_supplicant-0.2.5, patched for
>     ipw2100-0.56
>     Mandrake 10.1 "Community"
>     Dell Inspiron 600m
>     NetGear WG602 (v1) AP
>
> wpa_supplicant is working fine on a WPA'd network (NetGear FWAG114),
> but on my network at home, a NetGear WG602 running shared-key WEP, it
> ain't happenin'.
[big snip]

Problem solved.  (Kind of.)

It turns out that wpa_supplicant and non-broadcast SSIDs don't go
together?  Or so said somebody on the #ipw2100 IRC channel.  I turned
SSID broadcast back on *and* added the shared WEP key patch I found
(for 0.2.4) and I was able to associate.

I'm wondering if wpa_supplicant will ever handle non-broadcast SSIDs?

As far as shared-key WEP: I note that the "????-??-?? - v0.3.0
(beginning of 0.3.x development releases)" ChangeLog entry mentions
"auth_alg" and the on-line version of wpa_supplicant.conf contains
"auth_alg=SHARED."  Is this basically Lubomir Gelo's patch
(http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2004-August/007752.html) with
"wep_auth_type" renamed to "auth_alg?"

Regards,
Jim