deny 1+2mbit (iwpriv .. ?)

Joe Parks jphstap
Tue May 11 16:35:26 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:40:55 -0700
Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 03:49:00PM +0200, sylvio runge wrote:
> > How do I permit the Clients only  " high " rates (RX-rates 1+2mbit is forbidden)?
>
> One way for doing this would be to include all rates in the basic rate
> set:
>
> iwpriv wlan0 basic_rates 15
>
> However, I tried to verify whether this was implemented in the driver
> and it actually wasn't.. In other words, it is now in my to do list of
> things to fix ;-). I don't remember whether there is any other way of
> doing this in the current version.

Wait, really?

Because I've used this iwpriv command successfully for the exact purpose mentioned here.   At least in driver version 0.1.1 it seemed to work.

However the way I did it was this:

iwpriv wlan0 basic_rates 12
iwpriv wlan0 oper_rates 12

Since the value is a bitmask where 1 = 1mb, 2 = 2mb, 4 = 5.5mb, and 8 = 11mb the setting for just 5.5 and 11 is 8 + 4 = 12

Also since basic_rates must be a subset of oper_rates you have to be careful of the order you set them in or the driver will protest.