Setting the Rate under WDS

Denis Vlasenko vda
Wed Mar 24 08:03:48 PST 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 13:33, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On 23/03/2004, at 7:20 PM, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > 400kb/s over 20km is already very good! You won't get significantly
> > better.
>
> Hmm.  I'm getting ~550kb/sec over an 18km link (with no packet loss at
> all, are you getting any?), and that's with 30mW cards; want to see
> what it's going to be like once I replace the setup with some 200mW
> cards :-)

I get ~500kb/s too. It's not far from 400kb/s the other guy
was reporting, so I think he shall know he won't get 200%
increase and shall not waste huge amounts of his time trying
to achieve 'real 11Mbit/s' :)

> What sort of cards/antennae are you using?  We're using 30 something
> (32? 35?) dbi directional antennae.  Play around with the cards power
> and sensitivity, and channel allocation can also make a huge difference
> depending on other noise.

DLink DWL-520 and 16-slot waveguide antenna on both ends.
This is the least troublesome link in my network.

Other link is WDS one, and right now it makes me all sorts of troubles.
For example, it has a nasty habit of suddenly starting to have huge packet
loss and after an hour or two dying completely, despite reboot watchdog
and other measures.

Another link is 11g experimental one. Very unpleasant experience
of costly, badly supported by manufacturer, buggy hardware with
mediocre RF sensitivity.

> Let me know more about your setup; I'm keen as anything to hear about
> others long distance connections.  Doesn't seem like many people have
> done it; and the people I have spoken to think packet loss and
> <300kb/sec is acceptable.  Pah!

What exactly do you want to know?
--
vda