dwl520e problem using hostap_fw_load

Pavel Roskin proski
Wed Mar 10 12:55:28 PST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, jeff pickering wrote:

> I thought maybe I required the kernel-patches, depsite the fact they are
> not described in hostap-driver/README. So I upgraded to 2.4.24 which has
> a patches file and enabled hostap in linux make xconfig. Now I when I do
> modprobe hostap_pci, I get:
>
> hostap_pci.o: init_module: No such device

That's because the device is already claimed by the driver compiled into
the kernel.  You should already have a network device registered, so you
can try firmware download with the driver in the kernel.

> Which leads me to ask:
>
> 1) Do I need the kernel patches? If so, what needs to be set in make
> xconfig?

If it's not described, assume that you don't need them.  By the way, there
are many other things that are not described in README.  Assume that you
don't need them either.

You may want to fix the problems with your hardware before you compile the
driver into the kernel.  It's easier to debug modules.

> 2) After restart, what if anything, needs to be done before modprobe
> hostap_pci?

Nothing.

--
Regards,