[Acx100-users] Re: RFC: more finegrained configuration of 11b/11g rates and modulations

Denis Vlasenko vda
Thu Jul 29 02:55:25 PDT 2004

On Thursday 29 July 2004 02:31, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 02:17:11AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > Today, it is plain impossible to instruct my acx111 to _not_
> > use 22 pbcc modulation with prism54 AP, short of code
> > modifications.
>
> 	Asking the user to "fix" this bug by entering some magic
> config option is not a good solution IMHO. We should minimise the
> number of configuration steps by an average user, not increase them.

Nobody is forcing user to use this facility.

> 	The AP do export the list of rate they support and other info,
> therefore the acx111 should know better and automatically do the right
> thing. It may be hard, but it's worth it.

I will add such code to acx111 too.

> 	If you look at the IDE driver, you will find some white/black
> lists of IDE drives and adapters allowing the IDE driver to
> automagically do the right thing on broken hardware.
> 	Last time I checked, no Windows driver ask you to be explicit
> about the list of rates you need to use with the AP, it just works.
>
> 	But that's only my personal opinion...

I want to be able to precisely tell my hardware which rates
to use and which to skip. I want *complete control*.
We are not Windows, are we?

I know that e.g. 2Mbit rate is not working good at all on
my acx111. I don't care whether AP supports/advertises it
or not. I want acx111 to skip that rate.

Today, it is impossible. With my proposal, it is possible.

Dumb user can happily continue to use iwconfig rate command,
I do not remove it.
--
vda