hostap_80211_rx_status

Sameer Moidu smoidu
Mon Jul 19 13:51:45 PDT 2004

hi,

the fields in hostap_80211_rx_status include an unsigned-8bit for
signal and noise. what are these values given as? Is there some easy
way to convert between them and dBm? What is meaning of the jiffies
variable that is used throughout the driver?

Currently, I'm outputthing the signal, noise, rate, length and jiffies
using printk(KERN_DEBUG at every call to hostap_80211_rx. I can
understand that this introduces a lot of extra work for the kernel,
but assumming I'm only running a simple udp transfer program and a
capture for the log produced, will my network performance be adversely
affected so as to give unrealistic data? Is there a more efficient way
for me to extract this data from the driver?

Thanks,

Sameer