fails to connect when i change the mac address of wireless card

Brian J. Murrell brian
Sun Jul 18 06:48:38 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 22:49 -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> I do this by assigning an IP address (i.e., the same address) to the
> interface I want to use and then replace the default route to go to the
> correct interface. This works fine with static IP addresses and the
> existing TCP connection survive the change. In other words, MAC
> addresses need not be changed for this..

And how do you deal with arp caches then?  With a 20 (pretty standard?)
minute cache, you could wait up to 20 minutes to get access to some
systems, or even the rest of the network if your gateway cached your IP
right before you switched interfaces.

> Which version of the driver did you use?

0.2.3 - 2004-06-20

> If not 0.2.4, please try with
> it.

OK.  I will.

> Please also send more detailed description of exactly which commands you
> used in in which order to change the address,

ifconfig wlan0 hw ether <new mac address>

> set the interface up, and
> start wpa_supplicant.

wpa_supplicant -D hostap -w -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i wlan0
and then just standard FC2 "ifup/ifdown".

> I just verified that changing the MAC address works fine in my setup
> using v0.2.4 of Host AP driver and wpa_supplicant.

OK.  Unfortunately as of this morning some things have taken a front
burner and put this little hobby project on the back burner until I can
deal with the other items.

b.