fails to connect when i change the mac address of wireless card

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Jul 17 22:49:35 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 01:28:08AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> I have this fantasy that I can use a wired and wireless nic as mutually
> exclusive replacements for each other.  i.e. when i need to roam about,
> i can use wireless but when i need bandwidth, i can plug my 100Mb/s
> interface into the LAN and get it -- and not lose any existing IP
> sessions.

I do this by assigning an IP address (i.e., the same address) to the
interface I want to use and then replace the default route to go to the
correct interface. This works fine with static IP addresses and the
existing TCP connection survive the change. In other words, MAC
addresses need not be changed for this..

> So, I thought if I have my wireless card masquerade as my wired card
> when roaming is needed, by assigning it the same mac address that should
> hopefully achieve my goal.  The problem seems to be that when i change
> the mac address of my wireless card, it no longer seems to work with my
> AP using WPA and wpa_supplicant.

Which version of the driver did you use? If not 0.2.4, please try with
it. I fixed a bug in MAC address changing just couple of days ago..
However, this was mainly for Master mode. I have not verified whether it
changed anything for the client mode.

Please also send more detailed description of exactly which commands you
used in in which order to change the address, set the interface up, and
start wpa_supplicant.

I just verified that changing the MAC address works fine in my setup
using v0.2.4 of Host AP driver and wpa_supplicant.