Concerning ignore_cis_vcc=1

Joe Parks jphstap
Mon Jul 12 15:49:15 PDT 2004

On 12 Jul 2004 17:46:12 -0500
Matt <firestorm-v1 at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> My question is,  the card states on a sticker on the back
> 'Input voltage: DC 3.3v'  When I usethe card and the ignore option,
> /var/log/messages gives me:
>
> Jul 10 20:23:25 localhost cardmgr[750]: socket 1: Zcomax XI-325H 200mW
> Jul 10 20:23:25 localhost cardmgr[750]: executing: 'modprobe
> hostap_crypt'
> Jul 10 20:23:25 localhost cardmgr[750]: executing: 'modprobe hostap'
> Jul 10 20:23:25 localhost kernel: hostap_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3,
> io 0x0100-0x013f
>
> My question:   Does running the card at 5v damage the card in any way?
Well, I'm not going to answer that, but something funny is going on here.  The Zcomax XI-325H card *IS* a 5v card, and that's what cardmgr is claiming your card is identifying itself as.   This disagrees with your little sticker.

Another inanimate piece of kit you can ask is the little voltage tab on the pcmcia card itself.  There is a little plastic tab that is on the bottom right of the connector if you have the card face up looking at the "holes".   If that tab is only 1mm thick then you have a card that is capable of handling 5v.  If it is thicker than that it is a 3v only card.  (the thicker tab keeps you from plugging a 3v card into a 5v only slot)

I know *I* wouldn't try running a 3.3v card at 5v.