DWL 520 rev. E

Pavel Roskin proski
Tue Jan 27 22:53:54 PST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 jthorp at redfish.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying to get my new DWL 520 E card working (after a couple of
> days believing it was a <B> revision card).
>
> I've downloaded the latest CVS:
> I can load the module:
> modprobe hostap_pci no_primary =1

If it worked your are not using the latest CVS :-)

The latest CVS doesn't need that option and doesn't support it.  Also you
may want to get the latest prism2_srec.

> I've dowloaded  PM010102.HEX but I am getting:
> """
> bash-2.05b# /root/hostap/utils/prism2_srec -v  wifi0 pm010102.hex
[skip]
> ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_HOSTAPD]: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> Missing wlan component info
> Could not read wlan RIDs

That's OK, you don't have the primary firmware, so the PDA cannot be read
at this stage.

> dmesg shows:
[skip]
> Readback test succeeded, HCR 0x0f
> wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xfebfe000, irq=9
> wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
> wifi0: cannot get RID fd0b (len=1008) - no PRI f/w

Looks good to me.

> Any ideas what is happening?

You cannot verify compatibility before you load at least primary firmware.
It's sort of chicken and egg problem.  See utils/hostap_fw_load for the
solution.  You should load primary firmware twice (with "-gs" and "-gp")
and then secondary firmware once (with "-rp").

Also, you may need to use ak010104.hex instead of pm010102.hex.  Try both.
The one that is wrong for the card won't load with the "-gp" option after
it's loaded with "-gs".

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin