D-link DWL-520 not 520+

Andrew Barr barr.156
Tue Jan 20 11:11:37 PST 2004

The success stories you are reading about, at least the recent ones, have to
do with revision E of this card, which is a firmwareless Prism2.5-based
card. If the Realtek drivers are loading then you probably have a different
revision. I can't remember if it is C or D that is Realtek.

As far as I know, the HostAP drivers are designed to work with Intersil
Prism chips only. They do work with a few others but only in a limited
sense.

The Realtek chip, as far as I can tell, has no open documentation and only
Realtek's official driver will work with it. It is not a completely
open-source driver, so there is the very real chance that it will not be
maintained either at all or enough to keep it compatible with an up-to-date
Linux system.

Andrew