Dlink DWL-520 Rev E1

Jake Snyder mr-mac
Sun Jan 18 15:35:15 PST 2004

I've been told that linux n00bs and wifi are a bad mix, but i'm
attempting this anyway.  I purchased a DWL-520E and I've been following
the threads on the DWL-520 E and the DWL-650 and i'm completely lost
(well, not completely lost, but usually a little lost is not much
different than completely lost).

I'm starting this from scratch, as i have no experience in the world of
linux wifi.

As per the instructions, i downloaded the CVS snapshot under
development branch and went to edit the "*pos++ = 0x03" and change it
to "*pos++ = 0x07" but i cannot find this statement in the
prism2_srec.h anywhere.  I've done searches for 0x03, pos++ and 0x07
and i get nothing.  I also checked the tars and didn't find it either.

I figure while i'm waiting to find out where i'm supposed to modify
this document i'll move on. So i went on to step 2.  If i understand
correctly ( and it's more than possible that i don't) that i just
uncomment the line that give "#define prism2_non_volitile_download"

Now, i tried building the hostap driver before finding this thread (the
tarballs), do i do anything different when building this modified
driver from cvs?

Andrew mentions loading the pci module with the no_primary set to 1, i
read in the 650P thread to run "modprobe hostap_cs no_primary=1"  I
know that the hostap_cs is for the pc cards and that hostap_pci is for
the pci cards, which do i use?

I think i understand how to load the firmware in the card by using:
./prism2_srec -gs wlan0 pm010102.hex
./prism2_srec -gip wlan0 pm010102.hex
./prism2_srec -rp wlan0 rf010704.hex

  but where do i get the firmware i'm supposed to load.  I've read
something about downloading it from the card, but i have no idea what
this entails.

I appreciate all the help i've gotten from this thread already, and any
additional help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm watching this list
quite closely, as i find this a lot easier than all the stuff i tried
under wlan-ng.

Jake Snyder
(mr-mac at qwest.net)