WDS and WPA: working?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Dec 17 18:46:09 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:47:06AM +0100, Hugo Espuny wrote:

> I've got a WDS based wifi net with one hostap based PC and some LinkSys
> WRT54G
> AP's. The system is working properly with WEP104 encryption. I tried to
> upgrade
> it to WPA-PSK encryption with no success, because in WPA with hostapd i
> can't
> get WDS links up (seems like the AP's don't try to auth to hostapd). I am
> using
> the stable driver and hostapd version (0.2.5) and station firmware 1.7.6 on
> prism 2 chipset.

I'm not completely sure I understood what you are trying to do.. As far
as I know, Linksys WRT54G does not support WPA-PSK with WDS links. Are
you using a third party firmware on this AP?

Host AP driver might have support for WPA-PSK when using WDS, but the
hostapd/wpa_supplicant combination would need some changes to implement
the 4-Way Handshake for this. I have tested TKIP on top of WDS links, so
the encryption part should be working. Key management part is somewhat
more open since there is no standard describing this operation for WDS.
In other words, if you have this working with between some APs, one
would at least need to figure out what they are doing (e.g., with a
wireless sniffer) do negotiate the connection and then modify hostapd
and wpa_supplicant to do something similar.