Problems making WPA work with ndiswrapper/broadcom

Kamil Iskra kamil.89050
Wed Aug 18 06:33:31 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 06:27:56 -0400, Giridhar Pemmasani wrote:

> You need to start dhclient/dhcpcd/pump (or whatever tool you use to
> configure your interface) at the same time. Are you starting it?

Would you mind explaining WHY you need to start it at the same time?  The
channel is not authenticated then yet, so what could be the point of trying
to send any data through it?  If it actually helps, then it would seem to
me that there must be a race condition somewhere?

I've reported something that looks like a similar problem, see my mail
"wpa_supplicant does not work with a 3Com access point" sent on Jul 22
(http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2004-July/007384.html).  Sadly, my
report didn't elicit any response :-(.

And yes, I did actually try to start dhclient together with wpa_supplicant.
Didn't work for me...

I can add that I was a bit more successful with linuxant and a very old
version of wpa_supplicant that I found on
http://people.zoy.org/~hpreg/wifi/, apparently built from some
alpha-version wpa_supplicant-lnxt2003121400.tar.gz.  According to
wpa_supplicant, the authentication was successful, which is more than I
could achieve with a more recent versions.  Alas, I could not send any
packets via the authenticated channel, they would just disappear.  Perhaps
there was simply an incompatibility between the recent version of linuxant
I used and the old wpa_supplicant.  I tried wpa_supplicant 0.2.0 with
linuxant, but it wouldn't authenticate, just like 0.2.3 or 0.2.4.  Sadly, I
don't think I can repeat these experiments, because my trial linuxant key
must have expired by now.

Kamil