Problems making WPA work with ndiswrapper/broadcom

Donald Teed dteed
Fri Aug 13 14:58:53 PDT 2004

I think I have a fairly reasonable file for our requirements:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant # for wpa_cli support

network={
         ssid="ourssid"
         scan_ssid=1
         key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
         eap=MSCHAPV2
         proto=WPA
         pairwise=TKIP
         group=TKIP
         identity="testuser"
         password="thepasswd"
         phase1="peapver=0 peaplabel=0"
         phase1="auth=MSCHAPV2"
}

Is there anything I'm missing that is mentioned in the
config file and we need to set?  I've been through all
of the ones that seem to make sense, based on what
I know of how it works on Windows XP.

We are authenticating off a Windows active directory server
using PEAP and TKIP.

The debug run of wpa_supplicant confirms the above config settings
are read, and then shows this:

EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
l2_packet_receive - recv: Network is down
Starting AP scan (specific SSID)
Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=6):
      61 63 61 64 69 61                                 acadia
Failed to initiate AP scan.
EAPOL: Port Timers tick - authWhile=0 heldWhile=0 startWhen=0
idleWhile=0
EAPOL: Port Timers tick - authWhile=0 heldWhile=0 startWhen=0
idleWhile=0

The EOPOL line repeated once every second after that.

I've tried many permutations on the config file and it never
changes the way the connection software behaves.

The documentation is not clear on how iwconfig and iwpriv
should be used.  I've done what seems to be reasonable
in attempting to set a channel for iwconfig and so on.
Many things tried and no luck.

The driver ndiswrapper will show the MAC from ifconfig wlan0
so I think we have a good driver.  The broadcom chipset
is said to be supported, so I don't know what is wrong.

Will this work if the AP isn't broadcasting the SSID?

--D Teed