True Repeater?

kickdown at web.de kickdown
Mon Aug 9 07:25:50 PDT 2004

Hello!

I am currently writing on a thesis and try to find some
on-the-edge-of-the-standard solutions to spontaneously extend radio coverage
in a campus-wide network (WDS is not an option, unfortunately).

One of my ideas is: setting up a device to act as a true repeater, that is:
listen on the antenna for all incoming frames, and directly after receiving
them push them back into the ether, unmodified. This would of course lead to
lots of duplicate packets, but that is not a major problem at the moment. The
question is: would it work? Can you listen to and then retransmit, say, a
beacon frame? Would that break the timing of the beacon timestamp? Does the
firmware permit it (after all, that would mean sending a packet but not
putting the own MAC in place of the Transmitter adress)? Are there other
drawbacks that make this attempt impossible?

Sorry for the punishment of asking stupid questions :-)

Stefan Winter

--
This mail is guaranteed to be virus free because it was sent from a computer
running linux.