RIDs in HostAP

Pavel Roskin proski
Fri Apr 16 10:01:24 PDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Gargi D wrote:

> > The later is called HFA384x_RID_CNFAUTHRSPTIMEOUT in linux-wlan-ng.  I
> guess it's "authentication responce timeout",
> > whatever it is.  I don't see it in cards with 1.7.1 firmware.  Perhaps
> it's specific to tertiary firmware.
>
> Ok.  Since the hostap_common.h file in most cases specifies if certain
> RIDs are available only in AP firmware (and this is not marked
> likewise), I was not sure if this was one of those RIDs.

That's what hostap_diag is for.  I'm also writing a similar utility for
the Orinoco driver, but it supports HostAP as well.  It has a longer list
of supported RIDs, which was taken from several drivers:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/orinoco/orinoco/dump_recs.c

> > The former two are present in secondary firmware, but I have no idea
> what they are for.  They probably described in some > documents
> distributed under an NDA.
>
> Can't get access to those docs :).  My curiosity towards these RIDs is
> because they are not used in HostAP other than just for setting or
> getting the RIDS, maybe some new feature could be explored using
> them.....

I believe there are also RIDs with clear meaning that are not used in the
HostAP driver.

If you are looking for a serious problem to solve, I suggest that you add
USB support for Prism3 devices like DWL-122.  Look for "PRISM Driver
Programmers Manual" on Google if you need documentation.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin