Orinoco client claims the speed is 1Mb/s

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Sep 25 17:52:29 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 08:31:18PM +0300, jar wrote:

> Client:
> NT4+Sp 6.0a
> Orinoco Silver pcmcia, fw 8.72 + newest Orinoco drivers for NT

> The problem is that the Orinoco client manager claims that the speed
> from the client to the AP is only 1Mb/s. Although the hostap shows (from
> /proc/net/hostap/wlan0/..) that it is sending and receiving at 11Mb/s,
> no matter if the WEP is enabled or not. The test with FTP transfer gives:
>
> AP ---> Client: 5.8Mb/s
> Client ---> AP: 2.2Mb/s
>
> Is the fault in Orinoco?s side or in the hoastap?s side? Any ideas?

Well, if you can get 2.2 Mbps when the client is claiming speed is 1
Mbps, it should be easy to figure out which side is incorrect.. ;-)

Many Lucent/Orinoco client programs seem to use proprietary Lucent
frames for some link tests. Most Intersil Prism2 firmware versions do
not seem to reply to these frames in completely interoperable way and
the client side may thus report incorrect information.

In addition, that 2.2 Mbps is quite poor throughput, so I would assume
that the Orinoco card is having some issues with TX rate control. You
could try to verify from hostapd procfs file whether the frames are
received and sent using 11 Mbps during client->AP test.