Linksys Firmware problem.

wim at djo.tudelft.nl wim
Mon Sep 1 12:51:49 PDT 2003

Pavel Roskin wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Andrea G. Forte wrote:
>
> > I have finally installed the hostAP on a laptop with a Linksys WPC11
> > pcmcia card. Everything seemed to work but after rebooting I got a
> > message saying that "the secondary card with firmware 1.4.2 does not
> > seem to work in host AP mode"..or something similar. I then went on the
> > Linksys site but there is not firmware available for the card. What does
> > all of this mean? Any suggestions?
>
> Firmware 1.4.2 has a bug fatal for the Host AP mode.  Linksys doesn't
> care about this bug because they sell their cards to be used as stations,
> not as access points.

It may be that 1.4.2 has a bug, but that bug can't be 'fatal for the Host
AP mode'.  I've got a BenQ AWL500 access point, build around an AWL100
PCMCIA card (prism2.5). The AP works nicely, although it's running on
STA 1.4.2. That clearly proves that Host AP mode can be done with 1.4.2
and the 'bug' actually is in the hostap driver. It's probably just that
hostap does not provide a workaround for an apparent problem.

Regards,
Wim Osterholt