Bjorn Wesen bjorn.wesen
Fri Oct 24 15:56:49 PDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Bjorn Wesen wrote:
> > Ok - I actually looked at spectrum_cs.c before and saw that this was the
> > procedure they used. But since prism2_srec assumes that the PDA is
> > available even when the primary is downloaded, I got confused. I have
> > temporarily disabled the entire section in prism2_srec that loads the
> > PDA and plugs the primary now actually. I am not sure how to check if
> > the primary actually runs after download and soft-reset back into
> > non-genesis mode.. at least it still barfs after trying the INIT
> > command, shouldn't this work in primary-only at least ?
>
> spectrum_cs runs the INIT command in primary firmware and it's needed, but
> the function to run the command returns failure.  It may be a software
> issue.

Ok I got it to work now.

The primary needs to be plugged with default values, downloaded and run,
this will load the real PDA from EEPROM and then you have to re-plug the
primary, re-load it, plug the secondary and load that.

No EEPROM command is needed for that design at least, and it looks like a
quite common design (probably one of Intersils reference designs).

So the change needed in hostap, is

1) the driver should not fail to load because the init command fails or it
cant read the RID's

2) prism2_srec needs an option that disables the read_wlan_rids and
read_wlan_pda calls (while still plugging default values into the suppplied
primary)

Then you simply issue two prism2_srec primary download commands after each
other, the first with the option mentioned in 2) set. The second will be
able to read the PDA normally.

/Bjorn