Compile/Install Help

Michael Griffis mgriffis
Thu Oct 23 16:50:25 PDT 2003

Hi All,

This is potentially a very silly question, so my thanks for your help
and patience in advance.

I am running RH9 (2.4.20-20.9 Kernel Upgraded via RHN) on an IBM T30 w/
the IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Adapter (Prism Card).

I am having some success using the orinoco_pci driver but have heard
from several sources that the hostap driver fully supports this card.

I downloaded the latest tarball (hostap-driver-0.1.1.tar.gz) and
unpacked it in my own /home directory.  I unpacked the tar edited the
Makefile to point to my kernel source KERNEL_PATH=/usr/src/linux-2.4
(linux-2.4 is a symbolic link) and made no other changes.

When I run make pci I get the following errors:

Makefile:20: /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config: No such file or directory
Makefile:38: WARNING: No kernel PCMCIA support found and PCMCIA_PATH is
not defined
Makefile:45: WARNING: Linux wireless extensions, CONFIG_NET_RADIO, not
enabled in the kernel
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.4/.config'.  Stop.

I am fairly new to linux and very new to installing w/ make.

My hope is that I have neglected something very simple.

Could anyone shed some light on this?

thanks,

Michael