Broadcast BSSID

Joshua Wright Joshua.Wright
Thu Oct 23 04:34:59 PDT 2003

> Is it possible to send a 802.11 data packet to the broadcast
> address and the broadcast BSSID?   So just like a 802.11 probe
> request just not a management frame.

Yes, this is certainly possible.  I have seen this cause some cards to crash though, so proceed with caution.

> I had been attempting to using PF_PACKET and SOCK_RAW to send
> and receive the packets.   That should work, correct?

Using the HostAP drivers, check out the libwlan project at http://libwlan.tuxfamily.org/.  This has some examples to let you send arbitrary packets.  Alternatively, I have written a command-line tool to inject packets using the AirJack drivers that can also be used for this task.  The tool is called file2air, and is available at:

http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/code/file2air-0.1.tar.bz2
http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/code/file2air-0.1.tar.bz2.md5
http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/code/file2air-0.1.tar.bz2.asc

The AirJack drivers for Intersil cards are available at http://802.11ninja.net/airjack/.

-Joshua Wright
Senior Network and Security Architect
Johnson & Wales University
Joshua.Wright at jwu.edu
http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/

pgpkey: http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/pgpkey.htm
fingerprint: FDA5 12FC F391 3740 E0AE BDB6 8FE2 FC0A D44B 4A73