Increasing intersil prism2+ based card power (James B. Hiller)

Ged Haywood ged
Fri Oct 17 11:32:10 PDT 2003

Hi there,

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 hostap-request at shmoo.com wrote:

> > http://www.sindominio.net/pipermail/madridwireless/2002-June/003594.html
>
> Thx!  Now, I have only three questions:
>
> a.  Is the implication that if one includes this code snippet in hostap
> source in a suitable place, (or would it be the iwpriv/iwconfig tools?),
> that that's all that's needed to be able to operate the card at the
> higher power levels?

I don't know.  I had a look for the specification sheets for the chips
too but didn't come up with anything that would answer those questions.

> b.  Is it known to be the case that the card will work and behave

I don't know, I have no information.

> or is there any risk (of either damage or poor performance)
> that wouldn't be evident?

I'd say that there are chances of

a) it not working at all
b) it working but breaking something
c) causing interference to other spectrum users
d) getting arrested by the local telecomms watchdog
e) bringing down passing aircraft
f) financial ruin
g) health problems
h) any combination of b), c), d), e), f) and g)

Of the above a, d, e and f would become evident very quickly.  :)

> c.  Does it matter WHICH card the chipset is in, as to whether this
> works well or not?

Almost certainly.  Sorry, but I think you're on your own with this
one.  I wouldn't dream of doing it unless I didn't care about breaking
the hardware, and I could take the card out into the desert somewhere
where I could be sure I wouldn't cause anyone else any problems.  You
can get a lot more from your kit by thinking about things like feeder
loss and antenna gain than you can get by boosting transmitter power.

73,
Ged.