Configuring WDS using hostap

Dave dave
Thu Oct 9 20:52:31 PDT 2003

> On Thursday 09 October 2003 21:50, Dave wrote:
> > Hi Maggie,
> >
> > > dave, thank you very for that help. i finally got my
> > > wds working.
> > >
> > > im just a little confused.
> > >
> > > 1.  what's the difference between the wds
> > > configuration and that of the bridge using br0?? what
> > > are the basic application of such each set-up??
> >
> > What I provided as configuration will only allow you to move data
through
> > it via layer 3 because neither interface is bridged or attached to a
> > bridge...so you will have to do layer 3 routing to move traffic across
the
> > wds interfaces.
>
> How would you setup that kind of routing, exactly? :)

Como?

> Say, a different 192.168.0.0/16 on each wlanXwdsY interface on each AP?
For
> each wlanX interface, too?  Does each AP and its associated stations
become
> its own network segment, along with the WDS back channels?

I found doing ip routing across wds/ap's cumbersome so I opted for bridging
with heavy filtering to minimize the junk flying around.

But I could see you having a /16 or /24 on a wlan0 and all associated
STAs...then having /30's on each side of your WDS links...and just put
simple statics in the route table to direct the flow.

Did I misunderstand the question?

-Dave