Modifying the protocol

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue May 27 20:32:45 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 03:33:06PM -0400, Rahul Mangharam wrote:

> I am trying to adapt the 802.11 protocol for my research and would like to
> know if it is possible to set two bits in the MAC header that the Prism
> firmware writes but ignores otherwise. These could be reserved (but
> unused) bits in the MAC header mentioned in the 802.11 spec. There are
> reserved bits for Management/Control/Data sub-types.

I think you can at least use those subtypes and version field in the
802.11 header and still have some hope of Prism2 firmware sending the
frames.

> Is anyone aware of any registers that are writable that set unused bits in
> the MAC header? If this is possible, would the same read register
> functions work for them (will they be passed up to the driver)?

You do not need to set any registers for this. Just set the values to
whatever you want in the transmit code that is generating the TX
descriptor. Assuming STA firmware is happy with the frame format, the
frame will be sent and the receiver can then see the fields in the RX
descriptor.