question about WDS and bridge's STP

Lai Li laili
Mon May 12 02:14:53 PDT 2003

Hi all:

my question is when the network topology is like a ring,
WDS seems not work because of STP is not work.
My network topology should be like this:

                  AP1
                /          \
            /                    \
      /                                \
  HUB                               |  (wireless;WDS)
      \                                /
           \                     /
                \          /
                   AP2

AP1 (Access Point 1), has two interfaces, eth0 for wired and wlan0 for
wireless, and virtual wlan0wds0 of wlan0 for WDS.
AP1 and AP2 connect direct with a hub by ethernet.

I setup the AP use the following commands to establish this topology:

AP1:
brctl addbr br0
iwpriv wlan0 add_wds xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(wlan0MAC of AP2)
brctl addif br0 wlan0wds0
brctl addif br0 wlan0
brctl addif br0 eth0
ifconfig wlan0wds0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig wlan0 0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig br0 192.168.168.126 up

AP2:
brctl addbr br0
iwpriv wlan0 add_wds xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(wlan0MAC of AP1)
brctl addif br0 wlan0wds0
brctl addif br0 wlan0
brctl addif br0 eth0
ifconfig wlan0wds0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig wlan0 0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig br0 192.168.168.252 up

And both bridge STP status is enable.

But in this topology, STP seems not work; STP should learn
the network topology to prevent LOOP of network,but it did not learn(i
guess).
so,it cause broadcast storm on the network.

I have already test STP function in only wire situation:

      PC1
hub1     hub2
      PC2

STP is work well. There is no broadcast storm at all.

I dont know why! Help me please!!

Lee Lai