RES: Maximizing 802.11b throuput

André Luiz Ribeiro Moutinho andre.moutinho
Thu Mar 13 14:08:10 PST 2003

I am using two linux machines running 802.11b orinoco in Ad-Hoc mode.
Each one is connect to a convencional Ethernet card as follows:

0----------------0<-------------->0-------------------0
Sender          router1  wvlan  router2              receiver

Concerning video compression. I believe that it should be better,
and cheaper, to use a bttv video grab in order to capture video data.
I believe that I should need to compress the JPEG frame and compress it
again
by software into MPEG4. The main reason of using such a JPEG card is the
lack of
processing power. But if you know any MPEG4 encoder card !!!

Another question: I am new to 802.11b and the first time I setup a wireless
link using Linux and 802.11b I did it very fast. The second time I spent
some time
trying to figure out why It was not working. Finally I discovery IWCONFIG
tools and
some parameters (e.g. key, mode,...) that I had to set. Do you know why
these
parameters changes each time I startup the computer ?? I was forced to apply
the iwconfig
each time I startup the computer.

Thanks,

Andre