RES: Maximizing 802.11b throuput

Arunchandar Vasan arun
Thu Mar 13 07:39:29 PST 2003

> You mean that the block size in order to maximize the
> radio throuput is equal to MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit). That
> is 1500 bytes ?? Does MTU is equal for both
> Wavelan and cabe ethernet lans?? And gigabit ?? Can I change
> or configure this value ??

The MTU is the maximum payload the link layer can handle. In 802.11, it
can be 2304 bytes long. However, most wlan drivers use the ethernet
standard of 1500 bytes.

I think you can change this using the iwconfig and ifconfig commands. If
you mean a block is one unit of data sent by the application, yes, it
should be one MTU minus the IP header, transport header, and any
application header.

arun