Primary Firmware Download

Foy, Patrick pfoy
Thu Jul 31 13:29:30 PDT 2003

Pavel,

We are shipping APs with Senao cards (2511CD-Plus), some with primary
firmware 1.0.5 and others with 1.1.0.  We need secondary 1.7.4 for WDS,
Enhanced security, scanning, etc which requires primary of 1.1.0 or newer.

The reason that I need to upgrade the primary with hostap (either into RAM
or flash) is because we have shipped 100s of units and they need upgraded
"in the field" (and we don't want to open the cases to re-flash the cards
using winupdate).  I've read that updating the primary into flash isn't
reliable, so I wanted to take the least risky route, which is uploading to
RAM.

Upgrading the secondary into RAM seems very reliably, but loading only the
secondary firmware is only a solution for cards with primary 1.1.0.  I need
to find a solution that allows me to upgrade the older cards (primary 1.0.5)
with a primary version that supports a secondary version of 1.7.4

Thanks for your help.

Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Roskin [mailto:proski at gnu.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 4:03 PM
To: Foy, Patrick
Cc: hostap at shmoo.com
Subject: RE: Primary Firmware Download

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Foy, Patrick wrote:

> We've been avoiding the primary firmware download issue for our project,
but
> have finally decided to re-visit the issue.  Since this last email, have
you
> been able to download the primary firmware into RAM successfully (and
> reliably) using the hostap driver and the prism2_srec utility?

No.  It doesn't work.  But I don't think you need it.  If you think you
need it, please give more details.  What kind of hardware are you talking
about?  What primary and secondary firmware do you have?  Why do you want
to upgrade primary firmware in the RAM?  What's wrong with flashing the
latest primary and secondary firmware?  Cannot you just load secondary
firmware into the RAM?

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin