WPA capability in HostAP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Dec 6 17:15:55 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:53:32AM -0800, Rajendra Kumar wrote:

>   I had few questions regarding WPA support in HostAP.
> 1. Did anybody test WPA (with TKIP) if yes, what was
> the hardware used and what was the prism firmware
> version.

I have successfully tested WPA Supplicant with various firmware versions
(1.7.x or newer) and with Prism2, Prism2.5, and Prism3.

> 2. I had netgear MA311 PCI card (prism 2.5) and I
> flashed it with firmware version 1.7.4. but I am able
> to get hostap mode working in 1.7.4.

I'm assuming you mean "am _not_ able".. Care to give any details about
what you tried and what did not work?

> 3. I was thinking may be I should try firmware version
> 1.7.1 but that is for prism2 cards only. Can any of
> guys suggest me which PCI card (which is easily
> available) I should buy on which WPA will work in
> hostap mode. One more quetion, is this firmware
> (1.7.1) flashable or it is RAM only?

In hostap mode? Please note that I'm not aware of any publicly
available, open source WPA Authenticator implementation. wpa_supplicant
is supposed to work with any Prism2/2.5/3 card when STA f/w is 1.7.1 or
newer (at least I'm not aware of any problems with such cards).