Urgent Help Needed, please

Pavel Roskin proski
Fri Aug 22 17:56:48 PDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Kashif Bhatti wrote:

> Dear All,

You are seriously risking to have your message incorrectly classified by
your choice of subject and greeting :-)

> In my experiments I extract signal strenth with my client laptop from a
> real wireless access point, using Orinoco client manager software.
[snip]
> QUESTION:
> I am thinking of using additional wireless access points and read about
> mobile Host AP. If I get Host AP running on Linux (I hope), will it be
> possible for me to extract signal strenth with my client laptop (windows
> 2000) from the beacons transmitted by the Host AP laptop ?

The format of beacons is mandated by 802.11 standard and it's the same,
whether it's emitted by HostAP of some other AP.  The signal strength is
measured on the client.  So I'm quite sure that you can measure signal
strength of all beacons, regardless of their provenance.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin