Hostap+avaya pci-card+SURECOM PCMCIA-CARD(EP-9427)+RHL 9.0

Anand S. Katti askatti
Thu Aug 14 00:23:05 PDT 2003

Yes you are right, i took it like this
Avaya card( used to convert pci to pcmcia slot. so that i can put pcmcia
card in to the pci slot through avaya card. Its a pci card bus manager.)
This led me to think that im using pci card, and i hesitated to use
pccard.

Then i tried --
make pccard
make install_pccard
modprobe hostap_cs

iwconfig listed the wirless card, the o/p of the iwconfig is

Output from the lsmod
-------------------------
hostap_cs              41192   0  (unused)
hostap                 87524   0  [hostap_cs]
hostap_crypt            2768   0  [hostap]
ide-cd                 35708   0  (autoclean)
parport_pc             19076   1  (autoclean)
parport                37056   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
orinoco_cs              5864   1
orinoco                36024   0  [orinoco_cs]
hermes                  8196   0  [orinoco_cs orinoco]
ds                      8680   1  [hostap_cs orinoco_cs]
yenta_socket           13472   1
pcmcia_core            57216   0  [hostap_cs orinoco_cs ds yenta_socket]
8139too                18088   0

Output from the iwconfig
------------------------
eth2      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"default"  Nickname:"Prism  I"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437GHz  Access Point:
00:40:05:C1:1C:F6
          Bit Rate:5.5Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:140/153  Noise level:107/153
Output from the dmesg
----------------------
eth2: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth2: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth2: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth2: error -110 reading frame header. Frame dropped.
eth2: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth2: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP

My test bed setup
1)
 A(hostap_cs)-------B
'A' is running above configuration with hostap.
It has only one interface that too eth2(pcmcia wirless card with hostap)
The ip is .55

 "B" is also having one wireless interface eth2 with ip .51
What shud be the default gw in the routing table of B?

The pings are showing 99% Packet loss

> 1.Avaya pci card
> 2.Surecom pcmcia card(I dont know how to find out the chipset for this
> card? does anyone know how to figure out? Well when i insert this card
in
> to the RHL9.0 m/c and i do lsmod, it lists orinoco_cs module.
>
> I untar the hostap.gz gile and went thru the README,
> Since im using "pcmcia card with pci card" I followed the installation
> instructions given for "PCI CARDS BASED ON PRISM2.5  hostap_pci.o"
section
> from README file.

I'm not familiar with that Avaya PCI card, but it certainly not a PCI
card based on Prism2.5 and you cannot use hostap_pci with it. Based on
you mentioning orinoco_cs, it looks like Avaya card is a PC Card to PCI
adapter and you should use hostap_cs with pcmcia-cs.