Primary Firmware Download

Brian Capouch brianc
Sat Aug 9 00:38:54 PDT 2003

Jouni Malinen wrote:

> And the new magic prism2_srec commands:
>
> # Download primary firmware into RAM using Genesis mode
> ./prism2_srec -g wlan0 ak010100.hex
> # card is now in PRI-only mode with very limited functionality
>
> # download station firmware into RAM
> ./prism2_srec -r wlan0 rf010409.hex
> # card is now in normal mode

After earlier tonight having trashed a Zcomax XI-325 trying to upgrade
to station firmware 1.7.4, I suddenly took a very great interest in this
mail :-)

I downloaded the latest CVS, but couldn't get it to build against
2.6.0-test1 until I had added "#define HOSTAP_CRYPT_MODULE" to hostap.c
and hostap_crypt.c

I don't reckon that was the right way to do it, but things built afterwards.

I *sort of* saved my card, which now reports the following:

NIC: 0x800c	v1.0.0
PRI  0x15 	v1.1.1
STA  0x1f	v1.7.4

On the surface this seems to work OK, but when I did a bandwidth check
(Ad-hoc mode, to a machine a few feet away) the card repeatedly wrote
alternate Connected/Disconnected messages into the logfiles, and
reported only 24kbs of throughput.

I'm assuming the problem is firmware-related; I have another card of

NIC: 0x8003	v1.0.0
PRI  0x15	v0.3.0
STA  0x1f	v.1.5.6

And it works perfectly.

I'm sure I've done something wrong with the firmware, and if anyone can
point me in the right direction I'd sure be much obliged.

Thanks.

B.