sending Beacons from the user space

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Apr 24 18:39:13 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 05:26:48PM -0400, yasir wrote:

> The problem is this that when I scan for networks through the supplicant, I do see demo-ap in the ssid list but i dont see the "phony" ssid.
>
> Do I need to disable the card from sending any beacons? if so how do I do that ?
> Why is it the case that the phony ssid does not get displayed in the ssid list?

Most station implementations seem to be using active scanning. In
practice, this means that SSID field in beacons is ignored completely
and only the results from Probe Response frames (reply to Probe Request
sent by the station) are displayed in network list.

Disabling beacons (which you cannot really do in Prism2 Host AP mode)
would not help. You would need to implement ProbeReq processing for the
new SSID - a task that cannot be done in Host AP mode with the current
Intersil firmware.