no private ioctls?

Antonio Vilei antonio.vilei
Wed Apr 16 00:41:12 PDT 2003

Hello,

> iwpriv responds "no private iocts" so i cannot set any
> settings such as ESSID and such.  Anyone have any ideas?

to set ESSID you can simply use iwconfig (no need to use iwpriv):
iwconfig wlan0 essid myessid

Anyway you can uncomment defines: PRISM2_USE_WE_SUB_IOCTLS and Use
IW_PRIV_TYPE_ADDR
in file hostap_config.h. This will let you use all the iwpriv commands

NOTE: Read carefully the comments about wireless extensions and wireless
tools  versions, i.e.

/* Include wireless extensions sub-ioctl support even if wireless extensions
 * version is less than 15 (actually, only if it is 12 .. 14). If ver >= 15,
 * these will be included. Please note, that this requires iwpriv version 25
 * or higher (older versions will segfault due to long ioctl list). */
/* #define PRISM2_USE_WE_SUB_IOCTLS */

/* Use IW_PRIV_TYPE_ADDR with private WE ioctls taking MAC address argument
 * (instead of old 18*char). This requires iwpriv ver >= 25. This will be
 * automatically included for WIRELESS_EXT >= 15. */
/* #define PRISM2_USE_WE_TYPE_ADDR */