Where to get the last station firmware?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Nov 12 08:49:14 PST 2002

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 05:46:13PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Load the driver and try to load all those files by prism2_srec.  Load
> files to RAM, not to flash - this firmware is meant to be loaded to RAM.
> It may happen that you don't need primary firmware - then just load the
> secondary firmware.  It prism2_srec says that the NIC id doesn't match -
> try next firmware.

You should note that current version of the driver does not know how to
download primary firmware into RAM successfully, so better hope that the
primary image in the flash is OK..

> When prism2_srec says OK, you can start using the card with the new
> firmware.  Run dmesg to make sure that you have the new firmware.
> If prism2_srec doesn't say OK with any firmware, then you are out of
> luck.  Try some other firmware or card.

Actually, there seems to be combinations in which prism2_srec is too
strict about the compatibility verification (or the image is just not
listing all possibilities). For example, I have seen a D-Link DWL-650
card with NICID 0x8008 v1.0.1, but the station firmware for 0x8008 is
only reporting support for v1.0.0. However, this image seems to be
working fine with the v1.0.1 card.. Current version of prism2_srec
requires that even the variant matches fully and I'm not sure whether
this could be changed (now you would need to patch the source code to
get the image loaded).