no luck in linux... works in windows.... help!

Linux Rocks! linux
Sun Dec 8 15:05:26 PST 2002

Let me preface this with an  apology for such a long  message.. I really dont
know what Info I need to include....Im sorry its soooo long.

I need some help figureing out what Im doing right, and what Im doing wrong,
so I can make an AP. I am using a proxim rangelan-ds pcmcia card (using the
hostap_cs module). I think Its loading w/out errors Im loading the module (I
made an entry in hostap_cs.conf with my manfif, and am using the following
module "hostap_cs" opts "channel=11 iw_mode=3 edssid=any ignore_cis_vcc=1"
Im using the ignore vcc option because it fails to load w/out it (i guess this
is a voltage issue..)
Im  using the essid "any" because thats what the windows software uses as the
default id.
iwmode=3 is master
The driver seems to load fine, iwconfig shows wlan0 with a bunch of info (too
much to type in this messge...)

at boot time, the last messages i see about wlan0 are:
wlan0: NIC: id=0x8002 v1.0.0
wlan0: PRI:: id=0x15 v0.3.0
wlan0: STA: id=0x1f v0.8.3
(i noticed the following after boot using dmesg)
wlan0: defaluting to host-based encryption as a woraround for a firmware bug
in Host AP mod WEP
wlan0: LinkStatus=2 (Disconnected)
wlan0: prism2_open
(all of the above is typed, not pasted.. may have typos)

So... Im guessing its fine. I setup tcp/ip using wlan0 via /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

I have 2 laptops, and 2 proxim cards.
Using windows 98 the cards work fine
using linux I cant seem to get them to work :(

Ive tried re-configuring (via hostap_cs.conf) every way I can think of, and
every way on the windows computer (using windows as a workstation to connect
to the linux hostap_cs box) in every possible way I can think of (using the
proxim software...) and I still cant get them to talk.

any help is apreciated.

Jamie

--
No microsoft products were used to produce this message.