Overwriting lower quality files

fred.d fred.d at timelords.org.uk
Sat Sep 30 16:00:56 PDT 2023

Here's my ten penn'th. Hopefully some of it might spark methods for you.
Rgds.

If you have set gip to download the best quality then that's what it
will do.
The PID normally remains the same for all versions of the programme:
quality, signed, etc..
Force will tell gip to override blocking of already downloaded files
whatever PIDs you specify. However if you are downloading them to the
same directory as where they are stored, then you will need to also set
overwrite.

If you are after the easiest way to refresh higher quality and there's
no data volume issues, then make sure the quality settings are as high
as possible and download them all. If they are only available for 30
days then at the end of that time they will stop being downloaded. then
follow whatever process you are using to move these to your storage
area, assuming it's separate.

I've not really had to deal with large numbers of files for a program,
the closest for me was gardener's world for a year (around 30) that I
wanted to ensure a refresh of at highest quality.

I always use a command line anyway and I get the PID from the iplayer
website for individual programs or series (best way for series is
usually to head over to the programme website using the link from the
iplayer programme page and the series PID is there somewhere in the url
or on the page)

Then I simply use

    get_iplayer --pid-recursive --force --PID=zyxwvuts
    ( actually I have pid recursive permanently set in my options)

Then in my case I use 2 windows of a file manager that can show file
size and video resolution as columns and I can see at a glance what
needs to be to copied/moved over.
30 files takes 2 - 3 minutes plus copy time, it's simply select all that
need to move from source, move them to destination, then delete the rest.

If you have hundreds and have a low/limited bandwidth link then you will
probably need some automation. I don't use PVR, so not sure if you can
do it there or whether you need a more programmatic approach.

You can of course using a batch/command file approach in the collecting
of your TOTP rather than rely on PVR, which I have done for my
Granddaughter's favourite programme (well, this months).

For some reason the BBC was broadcasting them in an odd order and only
releasing a few new ones a week while retaining them on Iplayer for 30 days.

My options use highest quality anyway, so I created a very simple batch file

get_iplayer --pid=zyxwvuts    where the PID was the programme PID (the
one above the series PID, so all episodes of any series would be collected)

then set the system scheduler to run this once every day from my desktop
when I knew it would be on and logged in.
then every few days I'd copy new episodes from the download directory to
the directory I store them in for her to access via Plex. Anything that
I'd already downloaded was of course not re-downloaded so if there are
no new episodes it takes seconds to run.

Took a while but we now have all episodes available.

... Yes, she's 1.75 years old and can identify the correct remote, turn
on the TV, select Plex, log in as herself (with PIN) and get to her
cartoon characters.  When she's bored of it I'll delete them and I'm
sure we'll be with something else.
That way she's not trying to access other streaming services (tho' we've
already protected them anyway)

relevant options file entries from my setup are:

tvmode fhd,hd,sd,web,mobile
whitespace 1
fileprefix <nameshort> <senum><episodeshort>
subdir 1
excludesupplier bidi
outputtv V:\Holding\iP\TV
subdirformat <nameshort>