Some questions on PVR

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sat May 13 13:38:07 PDT 2023

On 2023-05-13 20:18, Kevin Lynch wrote:

> ... Since then the BBC had an "audio product"
> whose name escapes me that then was rewritten to be "BBC Sounds". If
> you look carefully the BBC doesn't promote "BBC Radio" anymore. It's
> all "BBC Sounds". The BBC now deprecates podcasts, driving users to
> BBC Sounds

If that's the case one would wonder why their own website hasn't yet
got the message.  If you go to "Sounds" and search for, for example
"More or Less" you'll find the most recent episode of the MoL
/podcast/ at

  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fn0lnw
  "Do 94% of marriages in Portugal really end in divorce?"

and - yes - that's a "sounds" URL.

But if you approach it through what might be a legacy set of pages,
eg from

  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qshd

and click on the "More or Less Podcast" tab, that takes you to

  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrss1/episodes/downloads

(which doesn't have "sounds" in its URL), and if you click the
topmost entry in the list of episodes you get to

  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0fn0lnw

- no "sounds" literal in that either.  It's only when you click
on "Listen Now" that you finally end up on a "sounds" page.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own