Some questions on PVR

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Sat May 13 13:06:25 PDT 2023

Hi Kevin,
I am top posting and very much appreciate your erudite and helpful reply although I find the information you provide very depressing.

My personal needs have changed. On podcast if deprecated so be it provided I can get the programmes I want.

I had mentioned flac but in all honesty I am of an age when the "best" sound is probably better than I need and fine.  If it is using AAC & OPUS and put in an m4a wrapper that is fine for me. I have not looked at the difference in disk space yet.

As a listener who remembers "The Third Programme" on the "wireless" and the BBC World Service, which I used to listen to using short wave dedicated receiver while abroad, I am finding the content on Radio 3 hard work these days, so I much prefer to check the schedules and set up pvr so I can time shift what I want.

OTOH I do appreciate the quality of modern sound recordings which I now purchase as downloads rather than disks.  I have also recently started using YouTube downloads of music such as that from the Netherlands Bach Society and Bachstiftung.  Also the many good opera productions available from this source.  I find the video significantly enhances not only opera but all of the works.

On TV I now prefer France 24 and Al Jajeera for the news since there is no international news or channel differentiation between tabloid folksy  tales and thoughtful and incisive reporting of more weighty matters.

Thanks again for your information and please forgive my rant.
Alastair.