output format

MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News news at macfh.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 10:22:23 PDT 2023

On 27/03/2023 17:56, fred.d wrote:
> Recently started using gip to download sounds and audio files.
>
> Unfortunately I've got my prefs set to force output to mpeg .TS. Result
> is my downloaded audio is being converted to .ts files unless I override
> the command line with --raw when downloading audio :-(

What command-line option are you using to set this?

> Does anyone know a way to configure gip Video output format separately
> from Audio output format? I've had a quick look at all the options I
> have docs on but I can't see anything obvious.

Difficult to say without knowing how you set the preference in the first
place.

> Note:
> I use .ts for historical reasons for video. I also have a decent .ts
> editor (TS-DOCTOR) that I like the interface for and it's quick to use
> and still handles 95% of content wonderfully. So quick, frame accurate,
> lossless editing with no hassle.
> I've not found anything that's as easy to find edit points quickly using
> a keyboard when editing other video formats. Most of them use timelines
> as they are designed more for assembling than straight editing. To be
> fair I have only tried free software such as shotcut and openshot so
> there may be something else out there that's better. If so maybe it's
> time to change base format to .mkv or mp4. I'm not averse to change,
> it's just that I need an editor that's as easy and quick to use.

Perhaps keep the file as *.ts until you've finished editing it, then
convert it to something more mainstream such as *.mp4.  The problem with
*.mp4 is that it can be very difficult to edit accurately, as each
'packet' of video can be several seconds long, and you can't easily edit
within a packet, only at packet boundaries, so keeping it as *.ts until
its final version would make sense.

Note: I suspect 'packet' is the wrong word there, but I can't remember
the correct terminology.  Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.