Programmes over 30 days old - incorrect warning

MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News news at macfh.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 03:43:42 PDT 2023

On 28/06/2023 23:11, fred.d wrote:
> Recently (last couple of months) I've been receiving the warning message
> "You have programmes over 30 days old that should be deleted."
>
> As I've changed my download directory a couple of times over the last
> year I suspected that I'd just forgotten one somewhere.
>
> However I've gone looking and can't find anything.
>
> I thought that using the suggested method of finding them "... --history
> ...720..." would help but it simply lists about 4400 of the 5400 items
> that I've downloaded over the years.
>
> ...so I went into the download history file which does show the download
> directory for each file. I then tried to cross reference the error list
> of about 4400 with this but of the samples I've looked at so far (about
> 50)  none of the downloaded files exist.
>
> Any ideas why I would be getting the warning? Any suggestions for
> further investigation or fix?
>
> It's something I can practically ignore, but I'd like to know why...

Basically, GiP used, and apparently still does, check for downloaded
programmes which are older than, I think, 30 days, but you could turn
this off via a command-line option, most probably, it was ...
	--nopurge
... or perhaps ...
	--no-purge
... but now ...
	--help-long
... no longer displays this option.  However, despite this, the option
still works if placed in your preferences file.  Append the line ...
	nopurge 1
... in your GiP options file, and it should kill the message.