widely varying download sizes

xndr xanda at gmx.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 11:39:50 PDT 2022

GiP can help with reducing output bitrate but this is achieved by using
a custom command for ffmpeg (either on the command line or embedded in
the appropriate preset)

We've found the following ffmpeg flags help considerably:-

-> Reduce frame rate by half using: -r 25

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/ChangingFrameRate

-> Reduce the output bit rate using combo's of: -b:v -minrate -maxrate
-bufsize

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Limiting%20the%20output%20bitrate

The first suggestion will easily result in an appreciable reduction in
output size for a modest hit on encode times.

The second can help further but comes with significant computational
overhead (i.e. time) as well as producing a subjectively better/worse
result. This means some experimentation!

To find out, try ffmpeg on the command line with short stretches of
video (~10-15mins) to see how different material performs - there will
be different results for natural, studio, film, live & CGI material.

How to implement custom ffmpeg command is given in the github wiki.

HTH