Curating "In Our Time" (IOT) downloads.

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 13:04:11 PDT 2022

On 05/07/2022 19:00, David Cantrell wrote:
> On 05/07/2022 09:42, Budge wrote:
>> I have been listening to IOT for years and have these downloads saved
>> for use locally.
>> Through time the BBC have delivered these programmes in slightly
>> different formats and I believe they are now also available from an
>> archive as podcasts, but I already have my own archive, albeit in
>> various formats.
>>
>> My problem is that in the beginning the downloads were filtered, I
>> think by BBC but possibly by my filters long ago, into five categories
>> according to subject.  The categories were Culture, History,
>> Philosophy, Religion and Science ...
> Most media files contain metadata tags, including those downloaded from
> the BBC. For mp3 files use `id3info` to see them. For m4a files use the
> idiotically-named `AtomicParsley`. For example:
>
> $ AtomicParsley In_Our_Time_-_John_Bull_m0018nsd_other.m4a --textdata
>
> Atom "stik" contains: Normal
> Atom "cprt" contains: 2022 British Broadcasting Corporation, all rights
>    reserved
> Atom "©nam" contains: John Bull
> Atom "©ART" contains: BBC Radio 4
> Atom "aART" contains: BBC Radio
> Atom "©alb" contains: In Our Time
> Atom "©grp" contains: Factual,History,Discussion & Talk
> Atom "©wrt" contains: BBC Sounds
> Atom "©gen" contains: Factual
> Atom "©cmt" contains: Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the origins and
>    evolution of the satirical everyman figure
> Atom "©day" contains: 2022-06-30T09:00:00+01:00
> Atom "©lyr" contains: Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the origin of this
>    personification of the English everyman and his development as both
>    British and Britain in the following centuries. He first appeared
>    blahblahblah ...

Hi David,
Not now at the machine where my GiP history resides but I have meanwhile
been confused further by the above reference to "Factual."  I have not
seen any of my existing files which have been entered into a "Factual"
subdirectory.  I only have the five directories Culture, History,
Philosophy, Religion and Science.  Is there another category "Factual?"

I note the line Atom "©gen" contains: Factual.  Is this genre?  I wonder
if when I rebuilt my system I didn't get the pvr instruction correct and
if I ran it again this might do the sorting for me as the metadata will
still be available.  Any ideas?