Failing to download msg

James Scholes james at jls-radio.com
Mon Apr 26 22:27:53 BST 2021

Also, just to add: the BBC hosts content across three content delivery networks (CDNs).  One in-house (Bidi) and two third party (Akamai and Limelight).  This creates redundancy and a geographical spread.  Even though Bidi is the BBC's own offering, and used exclusively for UK-based users, they wouldn't want to rely on it alone.  So the other two, Akamai and Limelight, also host content for UK viewers.

The ability to exclude (or only include) certain suppliers within GiP downloads was, I believe, introduced to permit the fastest possible downloads.  If users find that they're downloads from, say, Limelight are far slower than those from akamai or Bidi, they can block them.  By default, GiP will do something to determine one to use from all three, although I'm not sure what.  It could be random, it could be based on the order returned by the BBC's media selector service, or there may be a specific priority list.

All that being said, there appears to be something blocking GiP from accessing Bidi.  Maybe it needs authentication now, maybe it's just broken.  Who knows.  Either way, blocking Bidi requests should never lessen the effectiveness of GiP, because it has two other suppliers to choose from.  Bidi is a relatively new effort from the BBC, and before it came along, GiP only had access to two and there was never a problem.

Note: this is all supposition; I don't work and have never worked for the BBC, nor have I ever actively contributed to GiP's code.

Regards,

James Scholes

On 26/04/2021 at 3:58 pm, George Muter wrote:
> I've just tried this out on a couple of Fawlty Towers episodes currently
> available. The first with the exclude-supplier bidi command and the second
> without it. What surprised me was that the first, which did exclude the 403
> errors, downloaded at 170mb/s whilst the second without the bidi command
> downloaded at 25 mb/s for the same quality video. I'm just a simple user but
> am I right in assuming that bidi refers to bi-directional? In which case is
> something being lost in the download - reliability??
>
> Regards
>
> George Muter

>>> ff_abr_full_sd/dcfde3-p07kvctj/vf_p07kvctj_a
>>> 8cac489-bdda-483f-ae0d-27d3d7ddf42b.ism/pc_hd_abr_v2_hls_master.m3u8?