Existing version of Perl.

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Wed Oct 14 17:13:14 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-14 16:46, MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News wrote:
> On 14/10/2020 16:27, David J Taylor wrote:
>>
>> I already have ActiveState Perl (v5.16.3) installed and in constant
>> use.
>> Is there a way to prevent the Windows installer overwriting that
>> version
>> of Perl, and allowing get-iplayer to use it?
>
> I never use the Windows Installer myself, like you I have a
> pre-existing version of Perl.

It's been a while since I used g_ip but I was in the same situation, by
choice.  The webpages where new versions were announced used to say if
minimum versions of perl modules had changed, and warn if new ones which
brought new facilities to g_ip were needed immediately or likely to be
needed in due course (eg when XML support first came) so I'd grab the
main perl script, and separately use (and document) cpanm to install
newer versions of the modules.

I also had quite a lot of customisation of the main script, which I had
to rework, and often I'd review the actual perl code changes that had
happened commit-by-commit in the repository, to find out if any of them
looked as if they might conflict with my own changes.

Lastly, I front-ended use of g_ip by other scripts.  To facilitate
testing
of specific versions I kept every version of g_ip itself, with and
without
my customisation applied, and specific examples with test code in them,
so
had lots of main g_ip perl programs, with names like

  get_iplayer_2-91_001_unpacked.pl
  get_iplayer_2-91_002_notrspcs.pl
  get_iplayer_2-91_003_workaround.pl

that being the original copy of 2.91, and two successive mewer variants
of
it, so that I could be certain which version my own scripts were
calling.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own