no more hslv format ?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon May 7 09:00:41 PDT 2018

Hi Jim,

> My concern is that I only have a total of 8GB of ram at present on the
> machine, and the 1280x720 50fps files tend to come in at 2GB or more
> per hour.

Yes, you'd need to finish one download off, clearing RAM disk, before
starting the next.

> To save time and avoid running past 9am (and entering metered time) it
> would be quickest to do all the fetches first.

I too have metered broadband, but have automated use of it begin at
00:03 using timeout(1) to ensure it is killed by my 08:00 cut-off time
if it didn't complete for some reason.  Have you considered something
similar, perhaps using get_iplayer's `--pvr-queue', etc., to add
programmes of interest, and then telling it to `run' some or all of the
queue items?

> but have about three times as much data written to hd at some point.

Yes, with my preferred choices, get_iplayer's writes to disk would be

    downloaded video
    downloaded audio
    video and audio combined into MP4
    tagged MP4

so 3(v+a), and I'm not converting to 25 fps.

> I could use spinning rust I guess. but that seems messy.

Do you have it already available in the machine to use?  That seems an
easy compromise.

You could also look at your SSD's specifications and whether you're
striving too hard to avoid what might not be a problem with modern ones
and their built-in wear levelling.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy