no more hslv format ?

Owen Smith owen.smith at cantab.net
Wed May 2 12:11:13 PDT 2018

That doesn't make any difference to the H.264 encoding. At best if you get lucky every odd frame will be marked as being interpolated from the preceding even frame and then no actual changes within the frame. But all it takes is for the encoder to slip by a frame somewhere or to encode an I frame (a complete standalone frame) in the even or odd half that you are trying to discard every one of and then you are screwed.

And if the 50fps file genuinely does have every other frame saying "I'm identical to the previous frame" the stripping these won't save much on the file size. The fact that people complain the 50fps files are double the size of the same resolution 25fps files implies to me this isn't how it has been done. Even if the BBC have only created motion interpolated frames from a 25fps source, they are still encoded in the video stream and you still can't casually toss alternate frames without screwing up the I-P-B frame interpolation.

--
Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net>
Cambridge, UK