Format of options file

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 04:40:23 PST 2018

On 04/03/18 09:25, RS wrote:
> On 04/03/18 00:24, I wrote:
>>
>> If download_history can use 0x0A as a line terminator in both Linux
>> and Windows I can't see why the options file should not also.  The
>> options file is internal to get_iplayer.  Users do not need to edit it
>> directly.
>>
> I would add that now Linux fully supports NTFS it is not unreasonable to
> want to share data between Windows and Linux versions of programs and to
> go backwards and forwards between whatever happens to be convenient at
> the moment.  Thunderbird, Libre Office, Softmaker Teamviewer and
> browsers all make it possible, as long as you don't try to do it on the
> Windows c: drive.
>
> I am writing this with Thunderbird sharing its message store between
> Windows 10 and ubuntu 16.04.  All I needed to do to set it up was to run
> thunderbird -p
> to tell it where to store the messages.
>
> Best wishes
> Richard

This is OT but the other way of running Linux and Windows on the same
box is to use virtualisation.  Virtualbox

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

is a free way of doing that and certainly works with Linux.  My
experience is using Linux as host and Windows as guest.  Long time since
I did it but I do know W7 works, I have not used W10.  The advantage
over dual boot is that you can access both OS's at the same time, and
you can certainly share directories between the two.  The disadvantage
is that the virtual machine may lose some functionality ie its not
suitable IME for playing video games or doing heavy processing of things
like video files.  But for pretty much anything else it works fine.

Disclaimer, I am by no means an expert in this so please don't direct
questions to me.  VB is very well documented and IME both openSUSE and
Linuxmint have extensive community support where you can ask questions.
I will assome that Windows users will be able to access similar forms of
support.

As I said OT for this list but maybe germane to what has been said thus far.